Our client has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join their team on a permanent basis.
Primary purpose of role;
Globally, our client sets the gold standard for the water and natural resources sector as well as being one of the top engineering consultancies in the NCE listings. In the UK, our client has been selected by a number of key Clients to provide strategic consultancy services and recently opened their South West Office. As a consequence they are now looking for the right people to join their team to help deliver these exciting opportunities.
This is a chance to join a dynamic team of providing support in the delivery of effective solutions to Client’s needs.
The role will support Project Managers and Project Technical Leads by providing technical expertise to ensure that projects are delivered to cost, schedule, technical and quality standards to meet the clients expectations.
As part of the Design Team the role has responsibility for providing support in all areas of Mechanical Engineering in the development of efficient technical solutions that will deliver improvements to treatment facilities and infrastructure in line with Client strategic requirements.
- Technical expertise in mechanical engineering
- Appropriate knowledge of the Water Industry
- Experience in asset surveys, feasibility, outline and detailed design, construction support and commissioning of mechanical plant and equipment
- Experience in undertaking DSEAR Assessments and Audits, ensuring compliance with client and regulatory requirements
- Responsible for supporting the Project Technical Lead and Project Manager to ensure the successful delivery of robustly defined technical solutions
- Undertake feasibility, scoping and design activities on projects within the required timescales and within agreed design budgets
- Undertake production of technical reports, calculations, development of design and construction drawings and specifications in compliance with relevant industry standards. Ensure all solutions are safe to build, operate and maintain
- Preparation of the Business Case Reports clearly defining the project proposals for submission for governance approval
- Provide technical design support during the procurement, installation and commissioning of the selected solution
- Work closely with the all parties in the project team to ensure the right solution is delivered
- Communicate and quantify any residual risks associated with the preferred solution
- Work collaboratively with Client, Project and Contractor Teams to deliver integrated design solutions
- Investigate and apply innovative approaches that will improve the way we work and drive efficiency
- Maintain up to date technical knowledge of survey, design, drafting, project and contract management standards and techniques
- Liaise with client and ensure that programmes and projects are managed effectively to ensure delivery in a manner which meets quality, time and budget specifications
- Maintain communication and develop ongoing relationships with clients, stakeholders and customers as required
- Undertake appropriate research of existing assets and investigation and design modifications / improvements
- Provide leadership and co-ordination of the Mechanical Engineering Team locally to support the Regional and Technical Discipline Lead
- Undertake the design activities using appropriate software and applying relevant design standards
- Using appropriate software to provide advice, solutions and successful project outcomes for clients
- Complete all work in line with Stantec Core Values and in accordance with Stantec Quality Systems and Project Quality Procedures
- Degree qualified (or equivalent) in Mechanical Engineering or other relevant subject
- Professionally qualified and member of a relevant engineering institution e.g. CEng IMechE
- Experience in the design of treatment facilities and mechanical infrastructure, with experience in the water industry
- Experience in power generation and Energy from Waste Sectors would be beneficial
- Knowledge of DSEAR assessment, SIL analysis and HAZOPs
- Computer literate with a good understanding of appropriate software packages
- Knowledge and skills in the in the planning, specification, design procurement and commissioning of projects
- Possess sound knowledge of current legislation and able to work in accordancce with QA and H&S procedures.
- Able to integrate well into a team as well as work independently
- Experienced level of decision making and ability to prioritise and manage conflicting demands
- Strong communication skills all levels with the client, suppliers, contractors and design team – both written and oral
- Excellent organisational skills and able to multi-task
- Must be able to plan and prioritise work load effectively
- Experience of mentoring staff
- Excellent client service focus
- Flexible approach to work