Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
The main activities that the successful candidate will be expected to perform are as follows:
• Manage and assure the hardware configuration with regards to requirements and design changes
• Liaise with the Technical Product Assurance manager to ensure that required configuration information is included in all travellers etc.
• Manage the CIDL and ABCL and support the Product Assurance team to ensure these reflect the configuration of each hardware deliverable
• Manage datapacks for all major reviews (such as CDR, MRR, TRR, TRB/SRB, DRB)
• Chair and manage change control boards (CCBs)
• Maintain the Verification Control Documents for each hardware deliverable
• Support the project Product Assurance activity
The STFC RAL Space Department Millimetre-wave Technology Group (MMTG) is a dynamic, multidisciplinary and world-leading technical team that undertakes a broad remit of project work associated with the development of millimetre and submillimetre-wave (terahertz frequency) devices and instrumentation used in ground-based, airborne and spaceborne remote sounding. In a major expansion of its already broad portfolio of work, the MMTG is pursuing a very substantial technical development and supply activity in support of the MetOp Second Generation (MetOp-SG) series of Earth observation satellites. MetOp-SG will deliver complex multi-wavelength instrument payloads into low Earth orbit via a series of repeat satellite deployments to be initiated in 2021. Each satellite will monitor the Earth’s climate and weather within a range of well-defined wavelengths and a sequenced launch approach will ensure operational continuity of European meteorological forecasting through to 2050.
In support of the above, the MMTG is leading a European consortium tasked with providing sensitive, space-compliant and state-of-the-art millimetre-wave receiver front-ends that form the critical MetOp-SG Microwave Sounder (MWS), Microwave Imager (MWI) and Ice Cloud Imager (ICI) sub-payloads. To support our programme of work we are seeking an experienced and competent Configuration Manager who will work with the project technical and product/quality assurance teams to ensure that our component and system supply meets the standards of quality and traceability required by our customers and space flight.
A suitable candidate will be expected to be able to demonstrate a career profile that includes demonstrated areas of expertise gained through work within the micro-electronics industry, preferably including work in the aerospace sector. The candidate will be expected to work with the RAL Space Department Product Assurance (PA) team, who support the MetOP-SG receiver programme within RAL Space through management of PA requirements, and the technical team including assembly and production engineering staff. He/she will also be expected to report to project technical and administrative management as required and to make judgement calls regarding configuration. Thus, an attention to detail and high level of communication and documentation skills are required for this role, which is pivotal in ensuring the delivery of state-of-the-art technology to project related RAL Space customers and a fleet of future Earth observing satellites.
CV Submission Deadline: Tuesday 16th January 2018 @ 3.30pm.
• Degree-level qualification or equivalent in a management or science/engineering discipline
• Configuration Management qualification
• Two or more years experience in a Configuration Management role in a manufacturing environment
• High standards of workmanship and excellent attention to detail
• Excellent organisational abilities
• Fluent English spoken and written
• Excellent documentation skills
• Ability to communicate at all levels
• Ability to work within a team and provide guidance and advice.
• Comfortable in a customer-facing role
• High standard of oral and written reporting and presentation.
• Able to deliver at speed
In addition, shortlisted candidates should meet at least some of the following desirable requirements:
• Experience of using a widely-used CADM tool
• Experience in the European space sector
• Experience in the use of DOORS software
• Experience of working in a Sapienza Eclipse project environment
• Experience of specifying and/or implementing a CADM installation
• Knowledge of spaceflight compliancy requirements including product assurance.